- Arrive in San Jose, Costa Rica in the afternoon/evening and transfer to our hotel in nearby Alajuela.
- Depending on airline schedules, take a walk through the coffee fields behind our hotel and begin to explore the new sights and sounds of the tropics.
Day 2: Sarapiqui Lowland Rainforest
- Enjoy a leisurely morning before heading out for today’s activities.
- You can choose to tour a local coffee plantation and see the whole process a coffee bean takes from the fields to your favorite brew. Or, choose to travel to the top of Poas Volcano for a breathtaking view of the central valley and this unique ecosystem.
- Later we depart for the sarapiqui region known for its pristine lowland rainforest and abundant wildlife.
- We will have a unique opportunity to visit with a local family and see how they have transformed their farm into a self-sustaining farm producing an abundance of medicinal and edible plants.
- After checking into our hotel, we will enjoy a guided night hike at our eco-lodge.
Day 3: Scenic Sarapiqui River Rafting or Whitewater Pacuare River Rafting
- Enjoy a day of outdoor adventure.
- Today participate in a half day of rafting on the scenic Sarapiqui River, a breath taking and safe river through the rainforest where we will see abundant wildlife and learn about the local ecosystem.
- For the more adventurous, try a full day rafting excursion on the world famous Pacuare River.
Day 4: Tirimbina Rainforest Research and Education Center
- Early morning birding tour.
- Choose to participate in a variety of educational activities: Water Quality Sampling and Analysis, Ecology and Diversity, Management of non-forest timber products, Forest Composition and the Secret Insect.
- Additional options include a guided rainforest hike, chocolate tour and an evening program on the most abundant mammal in Costa Rica—Bats!
- In the evening, digest the days events with a talk on sustainable tourism.
- Free time at our award winning eco-lodge.
Day 5: Mount Arenal Volcano
- Depart for Fortuna and Mt. Arenal, historically, one of the world’s most active volcanoes.
- This afternoon explore Fortuna with options of shopping, visiting a beautiful waterfall, or a guided hike to the National Park.
- In the evening enjoy the natural hot springs at the foot of the volcano.
Day 6: High Adventure
- This morning take your turn flying high through the forest canopy on ziplines!
- Enjoy one last dip in the hot springs before checking out and departing for Alajuela, stopping for souvenirs and lunch along the way.
- Check into our hotel overlooking the San Jose valley.
Day 7: Depart for Home
- Depart for home after an unforgettable trip.
Additional Itinerary Options
- School Visit: A school visit can be substituted or possibly included in this itinerary. Consult with your Global Travel Alliance representative. A school visit includes the option to deliver needed school supplies and student to student intercultural exchange.
- Catamaran – Snorkeling: End the trip with a catamaran cruise to Tortuga Island! Enjoy the beautiful beach with activities such as snorkeling, kayaking or banana boats! Watch for the sea birds and jumping fish, and you may even get to see dolphins and sea turtles along the way. Once on the island activities abound, including a delicious buffet lunch, shopping and much more! Return to Alajuela following our cruise for one more night.