Student-Friendly Sites You Can’t Miss in Pittsburgh
July 29, 2022
We love introducing our students and group leaders to new destinations. Over the last few years, Pittsburgh has been gaining popularity with our groups and for good reason! There are so many unique, student-friendly experiences that some even refer to Pittsburgh as Kidsburgh.
Here are some of our favorites:
- Duquesne Incline – This historic incline transports you to the top of Mt. Washington for sweeping views of the city skyline and three rivers. It’s an excellent activity for daytime or evening.
- Heinz History Center – Learn about everything from Pittsburgh’s role in the French & Indian War to local inventions, rotating exhibits, and much more. Be sure to snap a selfie with the giant ketchup bottle! Did you know that Pittsburgh is home to Heinz ketchup?
- Strip District – This is one of Pittsburgh’s 90 unique neighborhoods and boasts myriad international food shops, restaurants, stands, and more.
- River Cruise – Enjoying a cruise on Rivers of Steel’s Explorer Riverboat or aboard the Gateway Clipper Fleet offers the opportunity to enjoy Pittsburgh’s history and views from its infamous three rivers.
- Carrie Blast Furnace – This is one of only two historic sites of its kind in the country. A visit to Carrie Blast Furnace offers a glimpse into Pittsburgh’s steel industry past. Learn about the immigrant experience, the impact of the industry’s demise, and more on a private tour. Hands-on activities include a metal pouring or graffiti workshop!
- Kennywood – Just minutes from Carrie Blast Furnace, you can enjoy this regional treasure. Kennywood Amusement Park offers the perfect mix of old-school and cutting edge rides as well as local treats like Potato Patch fries!
- Fort Pitt Museum – This museum is located at Point State Park where the three rivers of the city converge. Stop here to learn about how Pittsburgh’s geography and natural resources made it a sought-after fort location and step back in time with their incredible exhibits.
There’s so much more to explore including the Andy Warhol Museum, Carnegie Museum of Art and Natural History, Cathedral of Learning Nationality Rooms, National Aviary, and in the surrounding areas the Flight 93 Memorial and Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater.
Reach out to our team today to explore adding Pittsburgh to your itinerary!
What to read next: