January 8, 2016
Days 1, 2:
- Depart for Vietnam! After crossing the International Date Line arrive in Hanoi where you will be greeted by your tour guide.
- Morning tour of Hanoi including Ho Chi Minh’s museum and mausoleum, the One Pillar Pagoda, the Temple of Literature, and the Quanthanh Temple.
- Free time for exploring the old quarter of Hanoi.
- This evening we will attend a theatre for a local water puppet performance.
- Dinner and overnight in Hanoi.
- An additional morning of sightseeing includes the Ho Chi Minh House and the Museum of Ethnology, which contains exhibits of all of Vietnam’s diverse ethnic groups.
- This afternoon journey to Halong Bay — a UNESCO World Heritage Sight. Thousands of small islands surrounded by limestone cliffs fill a gorgeous, emerald green sea.
- Dinner and overnight by boat in Halong Bay.
- Today there’s time to explore a number of the islands and caves of spectacular Halong Bay, by boat.
- Late afternoon return to Hanoi for dinner.
- This evening board an overnight train bound for the remote northwestern provinces of Vietnam.
- Morning arrival at Lao Cai.
Days 6, 7:
- Spend two full days exploring the mountainous town of Sapa and the local hill tribes.
- We will visit local villages and markets and converse with the local H’Mong, Dzay, and Dzao ethnic people dressed in their traditional colorful costume.
- Depart by train the night of day 7 for Hanoi.
- Morning flight to Hue, Vietnam.
- Upon arrival depart on a boat cruise along the Perfume River.
- Up river, a visit to the Thein Mu Pagoda is followed by a tour of the Minh Maung Mausoleum — the resting place of the second Nguyen Emperor.
- Dinner and overnight in Hue.
- Full day of sightseeing of Hué includes visits to the Imperial Palace and the Citadel, behind the walls of which are found the Imperial City, the Forbidden Purple City, beautiful gardens, esplanades and palaces.
- We will also visit two of the most famous of the Nguyen Dynasty mausoleums.
- Free time in the afternoon for shopping at the Dong market.
- Overnight Hue.
- Morning flight to Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City).
- Morning transfer to the Mekong Delta for a boat trip to the local floating markets.
- Return to Saigon in the afternoon for a driving tour of the city.
- Dinner and overnight.
- Depart for home!